top of page

  Some of our Instruments 

Organs of the Portland, ME Chapter of the American Guild of Organists

The Maine Chapter of the AGO was established in 1935 by Alfred Brinkler, Portland Municipal Organist and Director of Music at the Cathedral of St. Luke.  Dr. Brinkler had earned the FAGO certificate in 1905, making him the first AGO member in Maine. In the same year he was instrumental in founding the New England Chapter of the Guild headquartered in Boston.  He died in 1972, having played his last recital on the   Kotzschmar Memorial Organ in Portland City Hall the previous year.


And another group, the National Association of Organists, had been formed under Will C., Macfarlane, Portland's first Municipal Organist.  In 1935, this organization merged with the AGO, forming the Portland Chapter, and the old New England Chapter became the Boston Chapter. 


Edward Clinton Young Memorial Organ

Woodford's  Congregational Church

The organ is Op. 2466A of the Wicks Organ Company, Highland, IL.  It was given by Mrs. Lucy Young in memory of her son, originally installed in the previous sanctuary in 1941, and moved to its present location when this sanctuary was built in 1956. 

It was renovated and substantially enlarged in 1996, retaining most of the 1941 pipework.  Three stops date from 1956.  Tonal finishing was by Henry Vincent Willis (1941), Burton Witham (1956), and Bruce Shultz (1996).

16 Violone
8 Principal*
8 Viola (CH)*
8 Harmonic Flute*
8 Metal Bourdon (CH)*
4 Octave*
4 Harmonic Flute* (ext)
2 2/3 Twelfth
2 Fifteenth
Mixture IV*
8 Trumpet (CH)


8 Metal Bourdon*
8 Viola*
8 Viola Celeste
8 Gemshorn
8 Unda Maris II
8 Gemshorn
4 Principal
4 Bourdon (ext)
4 Gemshorn (ext)
2 Octavin
8 Trumpet
8 Clarinet


16 Lieblich Gedeckt
8 Open Diapason
8 Stopped Flute
8 Salicional
8 Voix Celeste TC
4 Octave
4 Wald Flute
4 Violina (ext)
2 2/3 Nazard
2 Flute*
1 3/5 Tierce*
Plein Jeu III-IV* (1956-96)
16 Double Trumpet (1956)
8 French Trumpet
8 Oboe
8 Vox Humana
4 Clarion (1956)


16 Tuba Mirabilis (ext)*
8 Tuba Mirabilis*
4 Tuba Mirabilis (ext)*


32 Contra Principal (resultant)
32 Subbass (resultant)
16 Open Diapason
16 Bourdon
16 Violone (GT)
16 Lieblich Gedeckt (SW)
8 Octave
8 Bourdon (ext)
4 Octave (ext)
4 Harmonic Flute (GT)*
2 Harmonic Flute (ext)*
32 Contra Bombarde (ext)*
16 Ophicleide (SO)*
16 Double Trumpet (SW)
8 Tuba Mirabilis (SO)*
8 Trumpet (SW)*
4 Clarion (CH ext)


*1996 pipework

First Parish Church


Brunswick, ME

In 1880, the Ladies Organ Society began raising money for the present organ through teas, suppers and entertainments. Among the committee to choose a new organ was Joshua Chamberlain, who from time to time is reported to have played the instrument. Hutchings, Plaisted & Co. of Boston (one of Americas finest organ builders of the 19th century) was commissioned as builder. It was their opus 112, designed with tracker (mechanical) action, two manuals (61 notes each), pedals (27 notes) and 23 ranks. The console was placed against the organ case, under a bronze tablet dedicating the instrument to Dr. George Adams (minister of First Parish Church from 1829-1870). The new organ arrived in Brunswick on January 29, 1883. For twenty years the organ was hand pumped by Bowdoin students. Many carved their initials into the south wall of the organ chamber. In 1903, the Parish was given a water motor which supplied the wind for nineteen years. There were problems, however, not the least of which was that the water froze solid in the winter. In 1922 an electric blower was installed.


In 1969 the original Hutchings, Plaisted tracker mechanism was discarded, as was the reservoir and feeder bellows. Ray Douglas of South Harpswell, Maine installed pneumatic pull-downs, stop actions, regulators, ductwork and console. There were no

substantive changes made to the pipework. The organ gallery (which prior to 1969 had only been deep enough for the organ bench and pedal board) was expanded to accommodate the choir.By the 1980s the modernized parts of the organ were having significant difficulties with electrical contact and pneumatic malfunctions. The Music Committee contracted David E. Wallace, Inc. of Portland, Maine to return the organ to its former configuration and to re-trackerize it. A new console was designed and built, using stop knobs, labels and keyboards from Hutchings, Plaisteds opus 81, which had been installed in Dover, NH. A 30-note concave-radiating pedal board was installed in place of the original 27-note flat pedal board and 3 new pipes were added to each of the pedal stops. The pipework remained unchanged. The 27 façade pipes were re-stenciled by Brunswick artist Hati Modr using the original patterns on the pipes and colors to compliment those in the sanctuary. Gold leaf was reapplied where gold was originally used.


In the early 1990s the choir loft was further enlarged to accommodate the growing choir. David Wallace moved the console even further from the pipes and extended the trackers.In April 2003, the Andover Organ Company of Methuen, Massachusetts was engaged to thoroughly restore the organ. The work included completely restoring the wind chests and replacing the cracked and split chest tables with new voidless plywood tables to better withstand constant heating. A new console coupling mechanism was built along with new mechanical key and stop action. The pipes were cleaned, repaired and checked for proper speech and volume. A few tonal changes were made so that the organ could better serve the needs of todays worship service. The 4 Violina and 2 Flautina in the Swell were made larger in scale, so that the pipes could speak louder and with a quality of tone that would give more support to the singing. Likewise, the Pedal 8 Violoncello was made larger to give the bass line a stronger foundation. A two-rank Cornet, which provides a fine solo sound, was added to the Swell. The blower was moved to the space behind the organ pipe chamber to reduce its noise and built a larger windtrunk from the blower to the organ in order to fully wind the instrument. The original voicing style of the Hutchings, Plaisted Company has been retained. The organ now speaks with new-found vigor much the way it did in 1883.


Open Diapason 8’
Dulciana 8’
Melodia 8’
Octave 4’
Flute d’amour 4’
Twelfth 2 2/3’
Fifteenth 2’
Mixture  III
Trumpet 8’



Double Open Diapason 16’
Bourdon 16’
Violoncello  (4)  8’


Bourdon 16’
Violin Diapason 8’
Stopped Diapason 8’
Viola 8’
Principal  (1)  4’
Flute Harmonique 4’
Flautina  (2) 2’
Cornet (3) II
Cornopean 8’
Oboe 8’


Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

Bellows Signal

Manual Compass - 61 Notes
Pedal Compass - 30 Notes
Great/Pedal reversible  (5)

(1)  originally 4’ Violina
(2)   originally 2’ small-scaled string, now 2’ principal
(3)   new; 2  2/3’ and 1 3/5’ pitches
(4)   originally 8’ Violoncello, now 8’ Violin Diapason
(5)   new

The United Church of Monmouth


George H. Ryder Organ

Monmouth, ME


Built originally for the First Baptist Church of Augusta, Maine, the Ryder organ was moved to Monmouth in 1918 or 1919.


GREAT (61 notes)
8 Open Diapason
8 Dulciana
8 Melodia
4 Octave
3 Twelfth
2 Fifteenth
Gt to Gt 4
Sw to Gt

SWELL (61 notes, enc.)

16 Bourdon Treble TC

16 Bourdon Bass

8 Violin Diapason

8 Keraulophon

8 Stopped Diapason

4 Flute Dolce

2 Flageolet

8 Oboe TC

8 Bassoon (12)



16 Sub Bass

8 Uni. Flute

Gt to Pedal

Sw to Pedal

Mechanical action

St. Andrew's Church

G.S. Hutchings, Boston, MA

New Castle Maine

 Year                         1888
Opus#                       182

 IOF cat #             102300011



Builder                      Design Attrib. Henry Vaughan
Console Type           Integral
Stop Controls           Draw Knob
Pedalboard Type     Radiating, concave (not original)



Key                            Mechanical
Stop                           Mechanical

Wind Supply             Electric Blower


Bibliography       Organ Handbook 1992,     
                               Alan M. Laufman, ed,
                               Organ Historical Society,
                               Richmond, Virginia, 1992,
                               ISBN 0-913499-59-5, p93

Great (61)

8 Open Diapason
8 Dolcissimo
8 Melodia
4 Octave
2 2/3 Twelfth
2 Fifteenth

Swell (enclosed; 61)

16 Bourdon Treble
16 Bourdon Bass
8 Open Diapason
8 Salicional
8 Stopped Diaspason
4 Flute Harmonique
4 Violina
8 Oboe

Pedal (27)

16 Bourdon



8, 4 Swell to Great Octaves using hitch-down pedal
8 Great to Pedal
8 Swell to Pedal



Great Forte Pedal
Great Piano Pedal
Swell Forte Pedal
Swell Piano Pedal
Unlabelled hitch-down pedal, disconnected

Saints Peter and Paul Basillica


Four manuals and pedals, 53 stops, 66 ranks
Detached drawknob console, compass 61/32
Electro-pneumatic action
Opus 1588, 1938

Saints Peter and Paul Church was inaugurated as a basilica in May 2005 making it the only basilica in northern New England. The present Gothic building, which is Maines largest church and the second largest in New England, seats approximately 2000 and dates to the first decade of the twentieth century when he parish began construction on the site occupied by their first church. That building, dating to 1872, was demolished in 1905 in order for construction to begin on the basement church that was blessed in 1908. The architect from 1904 until the completion of the building in 1938 was the firm of OConnell and OConnell of Boston. Actual construction of the upper church dates between 1934 and 1938 with the dedication taking place on October 23, 1938. The parishs first organ was a two manual mechanical action instrument, Opus 1011 of 1880 built by E. and G. G. Hook & Hastings of Boston. In 1916 Casavant Frères built a three manual organ of 33 speaking stops, Opus 665 for the lower (basement) church making use of this organs façade and pipework.

There are two organs in the upper church, both dating to 1938. The Sanctuary Organ, Opus 1587 is a two manual organ of ten independent stops built using the unit design concept. It is housed in matching cases mounted in the left and right corners of the sanctuary. It is playable from its own console as well as from the main four manual console in the gallery.

The Gallery Organ is a four manual instrument bearing Opus 1588 with 53 independent stops, 66 ranks. Charles Courboin served as the consultant and performed the opening recital on October 4, 1938. Courboin, organist at St. Patricks Cathedral in New York and a well-known recitalist at the time was quoted in the Lewiston Evening Journal indicating that the organ was one of the best instruments of its size in the country, which had a pleasing tone that was royally dignified.

Additional details of all three organs may be found in the Published Articles section of the website in the reprint of The Tracker, Vol. 36, No. 2, 1992 article by Brian Franck and Alan Laufman, The Organs of the Church of SS. Peter and Paul,Lewiston, Maine.                                               

Grand Orgue

Montre 16

Montre  8

Principal 8

Flûte ouverte 8

Gemshorn 8

Prestant 4

Flûte harmonique 4

Doublette 2

Mixture IV 2-2/3

Bombarde 16

Trompette 8

Clairon 4

Cloches du Positif 4



Contre-Gambe 16

Principal étroit 8

Bourdon 8

Viole de Gambe 8

Voix Céleste (GG) 8

Violon 4

Flûte octaviante 4

Octavin 2

Cornet V 1 2-2/3

Trompette 16

Trompette 8

Hautbois 8

Voix humaine (Separate expression) 8

Clairon 4


Cloches du Positif


Solo Expressif

Stentorphone 8

Grosse Flûte 8

Viole dOrchestre 8

Viole Céleste (CC) 8

Fugara 4

Grand Cornet VII 2 4

Tuba Magna 16

Tuba Mirabilis 8

Trompette 8

Cor 8

Tuba Clairon 4

Cloches du Positif

1Cornet V (12, 15, 17, 19, 22)

2Cornet VII (8, 12, 15, 17, 19, b21, 22)

© Casavant Frères 

Positif Expressif     

Bourdon 16

Principal-Violon 8

Mélodia 8

Dulciane 8

UndaMaris (CC) 8

Violina 4

Flûte à cheminée 4

Nazard (Stopped) 2-2/3

Flageolet 2

Tierce 1-3/5

Trompette (copper) 8

Clarinette 8


Cloches (Class A-25 notes)



Flûte (Ext., 12 quints) 32

Flûte ouverte 16

Violon 16 

Bourdon 16 

Bourdon doux (Positif) 16

Violoncelle (Ext.) 8

Flûte (Ext.) 8

Bourdon (Ext.) 8

Flûte (Ext.) 4

Contre Bombarde (Ext.) 32

Bombarde 16

Trompette (Ext.) 8

Clairon (Ext.) 4

Cloches du Positif

State Street Choir

State Street Choir with Herman Kotzschmar.

The label on the back of the pictures says late 80's, but it must have been late 1890's.


People in picture: 

Mrs. Warren Chase, Soprano

Mrs. Jennie King Bragdon, Contralto

Will H. Stockbridge, tenor

John B. Coyle, Bass

Herman Kotzschmar, organist


South Church (UCC)

Kennebunkport, Maine

Noack Pipe Organ    Opus #146      

Installed December  2004




Diapason  8’

Chimney Flute 8’

Octave 4’

Twelfth 2 2/3’

Fifteenth  2’

Seventeenth   1  3/5’

Mixture  IV   1 1/3’

Trumpet  8’




Gedackt 8’

Dulciana 8’

Celeste  8’

Principal 4’

Recorder 4’

Octave 2’

Quinte 1 1/3’




Stopt Bass  16’

Diapason     8’

Gedackt 8’

Octave 4’

Trombone 16’

Trumpet 8’


Couplers:     GR/P     SW/P     SW/GR


Mechanical key action    

Electronic stop action


First Congregational Church

South Portland, Maine



Austin Organ

               Opus 2322, 1960


22 Ranks,  1318 Pipes

Wind pressure 4"




Great Organ, enclosed


Prinicpal 8' 68 pipes

Bourdon (capped) 8'     68 pipes

Gemshorn 1/2 taper 8'         68 pipes

Dolce, 1/2 taper 8'         68 pipes

Dolce Celeste " 8'         68 pipes

Ocatve 4'      68 pipes

Fifteenth 2'     68 pipes

Mixture  IV        183 pipes


Swell (enclosed)


Hoholflote 8'         68 pipes

Viola 8'         68 pipes

Voix Celeste 8'         56 pipes

Prinicpal 4'         68 pipes

Rohrflote Chimneys 4'     68 pipes

Nasard 2/3 taper 2+2/3      61 pipes

Blockflote 2'      61 pipes

Trompetter  (English shallots) 8'   68 pipes

Hautbois   (French shallots) 8'    68 pipes





Prinicpal 16'      12 pipes

Gemshorn 16'    12 pipes

Gedeckt 16'        24 pipes

Octave 8'            32 pipes

Gemshorn   (from Great) 8'

Gedeckt      (ext of sw 4') 4'

Fifteenth     (ext of 8' Ocatve) 4'  12 pipes

bottom of page